Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To my dogs, this is my gift to you!

October  5, 2010
 
It’s been exactly one month now when my husband and I  got our  little Silver. Silver is a 9 month old Shih Tzu. He is such an adorable and huggable little puppy. I got him as a gift from  my dear friend Jass.




It is quite ironic that I headed one of the biggest animal shelters in Asia, Animal Kingdom Foundation for  nine long years, yet, I do not own a single dog. This is because initially, our condominium management  did not allow us to have one.  

I really love dogs ever since I was a kid. I used to have three: Ginger, a golden brown Cocker Spaniel, Jigger, her offspring and Batchuy, a mixed breed of mutt and a terrier. Oh, I love them so much as they were my companions when I was growing up. However, at that time, I didn’t take care of them very well, as we have house help to take care of the dogs. I just played with them.

Just early this year, the management of our condominium  permitted the units owners to own a dog provided that it is a small one. Thus, we got Silver.

Now that I am married and can have our  own dog in the house,   I realized that then, I was unfair to my childhood playmates.  Yes, I  played with them but  I did not care for their needs. They were just in the garage and outside the porch. Sometimes, when it rained they were just in the corner. Though I wanted to bring them in, I couldn’t  because my 2 older sisters where afraid of dogs. My doggies have been gone for almost 37 years now  and  it takes a Silver  to make me  realize that I did not give back the love that they gave to me. I still pray for them and I now asked for their forgiveness. I owe a big part of my childhood to them. They were my true friends and playmates.

Given this , I promise to take care of our precious little Silver , giving him all the love and care which I wasn’t able to do before with my  Ginger, Jigger and Batchuy.

To my dearest  sweethearts, this blog is for all of  you!

No comments:

Post a Comment